Alabama Power is warning customers about a new wave of an old scam – specifically targeting commercial customers in the Birmingham area.
In this instance, scammers call from toll-free numbers claiming that the customer’s account is past due and the customer’s service will be discontinued if the customer does not make a payment.
The number features a recording claiming to be Alabama Power; however it is not. Alabama Power does not conduct business in this manner.
If receiving a call, do not rely on caller ID, as thieves alter the number on those devices to appear local, or even display “Alabama Power” or “Customer Service.”
Customers who receive suspicious calls are encouraged to hang up, and report it to law enforcement. The next call should be to your utility company’s billing department to confirm your account status and alert them of the scam.
To avoid being scammed, Alabama Power customers should remember:
- Alabama Power employees will never come to your door and demand an immediate payment.
- No employee will ever call and ask you for bank information or a credit card number.
- Any Alabama Power employee who comes to your door for any reason will have company identification that he or she will gladly show. If you have any questions about whether a person works for Alabama Power, call 1-888-430-5787 and do not let the person inside your home until you receive proper verification.
- Scammers sometimes claim they represent a public agency or government office offering grants that can pay your Alabama Power or other utility bill. Never provide anyone making this claim your credit card information, your Alabama Power Company bill information or account number, or any personal banking information. If someone makes this claim, call Alabama Power or your local police department to report it.
- If you ever have any question about the status of your Alabama Power account, do not hesitate to call the company. You can reach Alabama Power Customer Service day or night, seven days a week, at 1-888-430-5787.