On this day in Alabama history: Merger grew Phenix City

On this day in Alabama history: Merger grew Phenix City
Photograph of the Phenix City amphitheater (foreground) and the Chattahoochee River, 2011. (Ken Lund, Flickr)

August 9, 1923

Phenix City is Russell County’s seat of government and is built along the west bank of the Chattahoochee River, which separates the town from Columbus, Georgia. After Columbus was established in 1828, traders and other settlers who wanted a less-regulated frontier culture chose to live on the other side of the river among Creek towns. The Alabama Legislature in 1883 officially incorporated the town of Brownville. Fourteen years later, lawmakers changed its name to Phenix City. By 1922, Phenix City was part of both Russell and Lee counties, but that year a boundary line change located the city entirely within Russell County. On Aug. 9, 1923, the city of Girard merged into Phenix City, giving the town a population of 10,374.

Read more at Encyclopedia of Alabama.

For more on Alabama’s Bicentennial, visit Alabama 200.

Related Stories