Anytime I create something, I’m constantly thinking about ways to change it, tweak it, make it better. I think it’s just the nature of a creative brain. So, recipes are always swirling around in my head. I find inspiration everywhere. It’s almost a curse.
Today I’m sharing my newest version. And dare I say it. … It might be my favorite.
I’ve taken these crispy, delicious morsels and kicked them up a notch. Imagine the best of fried okra and fried green tomatoes in one bite. Simply amazing.
I can see these sprinkled with some Cajun seasoning or dipped in some comeback sauce for even more flavor. You know, if that’s your thing. Which it should be your thing. That’s why you’re here, right?
Anyway. Y’all enjoy!
Okra and Green Tomato Fritters
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 pound okra, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green tomato, diced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add the chopped okra, green tomato and onion. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg into the buttermilk, and then add it to the okra mixture.
- Stir until just combined.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drop the okra batter into the oil by heaping tablespoonfuls.
- Cook 4 to 5 minutes, then flip the fritters and press them flat with the back of a spatula.
- Cook 4 to 5 more minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Cook in batches, adding more oil if necessary; then drain on paper towels, and serve hot.
- This recipe originally appeared on SouthernBite.com. For more great recipes, visit the website or check out The Southern Bite Cookbook