On this day in Alabama history: Florence benefactor was born

On this day in Alabama history: Florence benefactor was born
Originally called Courtview, Rogers Hall was acquired by Florence State Teachers College, present-day University of North Alabama, in 1949. In 1979, Rogers Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Buildings. (From Encyclopedia of Alabama, photo courtesy of the Highsmith (Carol M.) Archive, Library of Congress)

November 28, 1806

George Washington Foster was born in Nashville and lived in Georgia before moving his wife, Sarah, and family to Lauderdale County in north Alabama. He became a wealthy industrialist, planter and philanthropist in Florence, where he built Courtview, his large and extravagant home that later became Rogers Hall at the University of North Alabama. In addition to Courtview, Foster owned Woodland Plantation in a section of Lauderdale County known at the time as Colbert Reserve, as well as a plantation named Oak Grove near Courtland, Lawrence County. Foster was part-owner of several business ventures, as well, and he made several prominent contributions to civic life in the city of Florence. Most notable was his $10,000 donation to what would become Florence Wesleyan University.

Read more at Encyclopedia of Alabama.

For more on Alabama’s Bicentennial, visit Alabama 200.

Related Stories