January 21, 1832
Centreville was established on the west bank of the Cahaba River at a waterfall by Sarah F. Chotard, who received a land grant from the federal government in 1823. The town became the Bibb County seat, which was moved briefly in the mid-1820s to present-day Antioch. Centreville was incorporated on this day in 1832. Boundary lines for the town were later redrawn, and Centreville was re-incorporated in 1890. The town is noted for its historic district, which is listed on the National Register of Historical Places.
Read more at Encyclopedia of Alabama.
For more on Alabama’s Bicentennial, visit Alabama 200.