Also, a record 10 Alabama State Parks – or amenities within the parks, such as the Gulf State Park Pier – earned TripAdvisor Hall of Fame honors. In 2018, 16 Alabama State Parks received Certificates of Excellence and nine Hall of Fame awards.
“We are very proud of all of our parks that received this recognition, especially because it is based on visitors’ impressions,” said Greg Lein, director of the Alabama State Parks Division of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. “It’s exciting that our parks received three first-time Certificates of Excellence and that Cheaha State Park was inducted into their Hall of Fame after earning a certificate for the fifth straight year.
“It is impressive that we have been able to maintain these positive impressions with guests even during periods of renovation and repairs to many parks’ amenities. It’s truly a positive reflection on the attitude and performance of these parks’ staff and leadership.”
To qualify for a Certificate of Excellence, an accommodation, restaurant or tourism experience must maintain an overall TripAdvisor rating of at least four out of five, have a set minimum number of reviews and have been listed on TripAdvisor for at least 12 months. There is no application process to receive TripAdvisor recognition. Certificate of Excellence winners for five straight years earn Hall of Fame recognition.
The Alabama State Parks (and parks’ attractions) honored with Certificates of Excellence this year:
- Cathedral Caverns State Park (Hall of Fame)
- Cheaha State Park (Hall of Fame)
- Cheaha State Park restaurant, Vista Cliffside (first award)
- Chewacla State Park (Hall of Fame)
- DeSoto Falls
- DeSoto State Park (Hall of Fame)
- Gulf State Park (Hall of Fame)
- Gulf State Park Campground (Hall of Fame)
- Gulf State Park Pier (Hall of Fame)
- Gulf State Park Hugh S. Branyon Backcountry Trail
- Joe Wheeler State Park (Hall of Fame)
- Lake Guntersville State Park
- Lake Guntersville State Park Lodge
- Lakepoint Resort State Park (first award)
- Lake Lurleen State Park (first award)
- Meaher State Park
- Monte Sano State Park (Hall of Fame)
- Oak Mountain State Park (Hall of Fame).